From: Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Hurray! Radeon KMS in 2.6.31
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 22:29:49
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Duncan wrote:
5 > Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com> posted 4A3AA6FB.3010409@×××××.com, excerpted
6 > below, on Fri, 19 Jun 2009 06:43:39 +1000:
7 >
8 >> For changing "Resolution and Rotation", you're correct; but with or
9 >> without randr, whatever I tried I can't switch between single monitor
10 >> and dual monitor and back without restarting X.
11 >
12 > Four questions:
13
14 Howdy, I just realized that I talked several pages long and I never
15 thought to make 3 very important remarks, 1) my experience with
16 multimonitor was in Ubuntu 2) I'm no longer in a situation where I did
17 presentations all the time any more, 3) the Ubuntu have been reinstalled
18 with the current Gentoo
19
20 > 1. What version of xorg and RandR (I'm not sure which *randr* package
21 > but they're all the same version here so I'll pick libXrandr)?
22 >
23 > The ~arch xorg 1.6 and *randr* 1.3 work MUCH better than previous
24 > versions, which were flat-out missing certain very useful functionality.
25
26 I don't remember their exact version, although it should be last year's
27 latest in Ubuntu repository. I never switched to Intrepid because I
28 moved to Gentoo.
29
30 > 2. "Whatever I tried". Did you try xrandr?
31 >
32 > As I explained in another post, the GUI versions seem to be "functionally
33 > challenged" if not flat-out broken in some aspects. xrandr 1.3 works
34 > very well here.
35
36 Yeah. I've just replied on the other post that xrandr only works well in
37 a single monitor on my specific hardware configuration.
38
39 > 3. Have you tried setting the virtual desktop size (as explained in that
40 > other post)?
41 >
42 > I haven't actually tried it with the newest xorg-server (1.6.1.901, FWIW
43 > Gentoo revision 3), but last I was aware, xorg-server couldn't exand the
44 > virtual desktop from what it was when it initially started. Since it
45 > defaults to the same size as the detected resolution, if you've not set
46 > it to a sufficient size in xorg.conf, you'll have issues trying to get
47 > anything other than clone mode without rebooting, since there's no
48 > further desktop for it to expand into.
49
50 I tried a LOT of thing and many of them are not nice. I think virtual
51 desktop size was one of them. The result, as I remember, was a bit odd,
52 as setting the desktop larger than the monitor resolution gives panning
53 and not dual monitor. (or was that the effect of another setting, let me
54 check my memory first...)
55
56 > 4. What graphics drivers? Version?
57 >
58 > I'm currently running the Radeon driver from xf86-video-ati, version
59 > 6.12.2. Certain drivers haven't been converted to RandR yet, or may not
60 > be updated to use use full current xorg-server and RandR functionality.
63 It was nvidia binary driver. Not sure of the exact version number as it
64 gets through several updates. It should be last year's latest
65 nvidia-glx-new in Ubuntu.