From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Hurray! Radeon KMS in 2.6.31
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 21:33:37
1 Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com> posted 4A3AA6FB.3010409@×××××.com, excerpted
2 below, on Fri, 19 Jun 2009 06:43:39 +1000:
3
4 > For changing "Resolution and Rotation", you're correct; but with or
5 > without randr, whatever I tried I can't switch between single monitor
6 > and dual monitor and back without restarting X.
7
8 Four questions:
9
10 1. What version of xorg and RandR (I'm not sure which *randr* package
11 but they're all the same version here so I'll pick libXrandr)?
12
13 The ~arch xorg 1.6 and *randr* 1.3 work MUCH better than previous
14 versions, which were flat-out missing certain very useful functionality.
15
16 2. "Whatever I tried". Did you try xrandr?
17
18 As I explained in another post, the GUI versions seem to be "functionally
19 challenged" if not flat-out broken in some aspects. xrandr 1.3 works
20 very well here.
21
22 3. Have you tried setting the virtual desktop size (as explained in that
23 other post)?
24
25 I haven't actually tried it with the newest xorg-server (1.6.1.901, FWIW
26 Gentoo revision 3), but last I was aware, xorg-server couldn't exand the
27 virtual desktop from what it was when it initially started. Since it
28 defaults to the same size as the detected resolution, if you've not set
29 it to a sufficient size in xorg.conf, you'll have issues trying to get
30 anything other than clone mode without rebooting, since there's no
31 further desktop for it to expand into.
32
33 4. What graphics drivers? Version?
34
35 I'm currently running the Radeon driver from xf86-video-ati, version
36 6.12.2. Certain drivers haven't been converted to RandR yet, or may not
37 be updated to use use full current xorg-server and RandR functionality.
42 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman