From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Please suggest settings and flags in /etc/make.conf?
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 13:26:33
1 On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Juan Fco. Giordana
2 <juangiordana@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On 01/22/2010 12:44 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >>
5 >> I'm just installing Gentoo on my first new machine in years. Can
6 >> anyone suggest which of the CPU flags below might best be added to
7 >> make.conf? The machine will be a standard desktop running rt-sources
8 >> and stable Gentoo.
9 >>
10 >> This processor is 2 physical cores with hyperthreading enabled in each
11 >> core.
12 >>
13 >> Currently make.conf has only the standard stuff other than me adding
14 >> the MAKEOPTS line:
15 >>
16 >> # These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
17 >> # built this stage.
18 >> # Please consult /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for a more
19 >> # detailed example.
20 >>
21 >> ...
22 >
23 > See http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Safe_Cflags
24 >
25 > Also, take a look to what they say about -march=native.
26 >
27 > Regards
30 Hi all,
31 OK, thanks to everyone for your responses. It's 5AM and I'm going
32 to try and answer as much as I can to get more info. Things are very
33 hosed up with this machine after whatever instructions I gave grub
34 didn't work. At the point where I'm supposed to get a grub splash
35 screen I get a blinking cursor, then it flashes for less than a second
36 some of the rootnoverify part from grub.conf so it's finding
37 something, and then I get a message about windows not starting because
38 <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing.
39
40 I have not yet this morning booted again from the install CD and
41 chrooted into the new 64-bit install. As I said, it's 5AM.
42
43 OK, specific to this response there's nothing on the Safe_Cflags
44 page about this specific processor. (i5-661) I'll continue to study
45 that and take a very conservative path.
46
47 Today all I want is to boot Gentoo with nothing but @system. I'm
48 happy to build that 10 times over with new CFLAGS if necessary before
49 going on to ANYTHING in @world. I don't NEED Gentoo just yet - I want
50 it but don't need it. What I need is to get grub working and be able
51 to boot into Windows first so I'm going to focus on that.
52
53 Thanks,
54 Mark