From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: ~amd64 vs portage.unmask
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 03:22:01
1 On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > Sebastian Redl wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Mark Knecht wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> I seem to be a bit confused about the correct usage of ~amd64 vs
7 >>> unmasking a package in the portage.unmask file. Thanks in advance.
8 >>>
9 >>>
10 >>> What's the proper way for me to limit glib at the currently installed
11 >>> revision level?
12 >>>
13 >>>
14 >>
15 >> portage.unmask is for masking, portage.keywords for keywording. These
16 >> are not the same.
17 >>
18 >> You can accept the ~amd64 keyword for just a single version the same way
19 >> you can unmask just a single version. Put this in portage.keywords:
20 >>
21 >> =dev-libs/glib-2.18.4 ~amd64
22 >
23 > In order to reduce clutter in the keyword files, you can omit the "~amd64"
24 > part. This is equvalent:
25 >
26 > =dev-libs/glib-2.18.4
27 >
28 > Also, it helps explaining to people how to keyword packages without knowing
29 > their arch.
30
31 Makes sense. By giving the exact package revision I'm saying that's
32 the one I want. I don't need any additional wild card of any type.
33
34 Additionally is address my other frustrating with this where I want
35 and need some version, say 2.18.1, so I use ~amd64 to get it, and then
36 over time the system builds 2.18.2, 2.18.3, 2.18.4, etc., which I
37 don't need and personalyl don't want until one of them goes stable.
38
39 Thanks,
40 Mark