From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] [100% OFF TOPIC] Where does one learn about running vmware under Gentoo?
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 16:16:56
1 On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I've wanted to ask this for a while. I've never seen vmware running.
3 > I'm curious about running a few Windows apps on my AMD64 machine, if
4 > possible. Does stuff like sound work? I don't need any special
5 > hardware. (I think) Just disk, graphics and network.
6 >
7 > How well does this work? vmware seems to have a good reputation. What
8 > are the Open Source alternatives?
9 >
10 > If someone has a good pointer to something that walks a newbie through
11 > setting this up and running Win XP then that would be cool. I have XP
12 > licenses if necessary.
13
14 It's easy. If your CPU supports virtualization, make sure it is
15 enabled in your BIOS settings and the virtual machine will run at
16 nearly full speed (given sufficient RAM). Just emerge the version of
17 your choice (I suggest using the vmware overlay fort this). I think
18 vmware-server vmware-server-console are still free. If you don't use
19 bleeding-edge kernels, it's even easier. VMWare is one of those
20 closed-source programs with kernel modules that gets broken every time
21 there's a new kernel released.
22
23 Yes, I think sound and everything works in the free vmware-server
24 except for hotplugging USB devices. In vmware-workstation (commercial
25 product), plugging in USB devices work (so you can run itunes in
26 vmware and sync your ipod to it, for example). There is VERY minimal
27 directx/3D support but it's so bad it might as well not even exist. So
28 it'll be a 2D-only windows box (no fancy gaming will happen).
29
30 For alternatives there is VirtualBox, QEMU and a few kernel-based for
31 making a virtualization server. I've not used those so I can't say
32 anything about them.