From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] [100% OFF TOPIC] Where does one learn about running vmware under Gentoo?
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 16:21:53
1 Thanks Paul.
2
3 On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 8:16 AM, Paul Hartman
4 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> I've wanted to ask this for a while. I've never seen vmware running.
7 >> I'm curious about running a few Windows apps on my AMD64 machine, if
8 >> possible. Does stuff like sound work? I don't need any special
9 >> hardware. (I think) Just disk, graphics and network.
10 >>
11 >> How well does this work? vmware seems to have a good reputation. What
12 >> are the Open Source alternatives?
13 >>
14 >> If someone has a good pointer to something that walks a newbie through
15 >> setting this up and running Win XP then that would be cool. I have XP
16 >> licenses if necessary.
17 >
18 > It's easy. If your CPU supports virtualization, make sure it is
19 > enabled in your BIOS settings and the virtual machine will run at
20 > nearly full speed (given sufficient RAM).
21
22 Are there any flags in /proc/cpuinfo that show this? The processors is
23 a 4 year old AMD64. Likely or not?
24
25 Also, is this a requirement to make it work, or just makes it work better?
26
27 > Just emerge the version of
28 > your choice (I suggest using the vmware overlay fort this). I think
29 > vmware-server vmware-server-console are still free. If you don't use
30 > bleeding-edge kernels, it's even easier. VMWare is one of those
31 > closed-source programs with kernel modules that gets broken every time
32 > there's a new kernel released.
33 >
34 > Yes, I think sound and everything works in the free vmware-server
35 > except for hotplugging USB devices. In vmware-workstation (commercial
36 > product), plugging in USB devices work (so you can run itunes in
37 > vmware and sync your ipod to it, for example). There is VERY minimal
38 > directx/3D support but it's so bad it might as well not even exist. So
39 > it'll be a 2D-only windows box (no fancy gaming will happen).
42 That's OK, but it does raise the question about USB license dongles
43 which one program I have requires. If I get things working at all I
44 guess I can test that or ask back at that time.
45
46 > For alternatives there is VirtualBox, QEMU and a few kernel-based for
47 > making a virtualization server. I've not used those so I can't say
48 > anything about them.
52 Thanks!
53
54 - Mark