From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: ati-drivers compile issues
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 15:26:31
1 Harry Holt wrote:
2 >
3 > On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de
4 > <mailto:realnc@×××××.de>> wrote:
5 >
6 > I don't know if this error exists upstream or not, but I may try
7 > installing the 9.3 version from ATI just to find out (if I can
8 > get through it). I know the Debian version in "squeeze" works
9 > but it's a newer version as far as I can tell (version numbers
10 > are really inconsistent).
11 >
12 > Anyway, has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way around
13 > it without turning on PCI_LEGACY in the kernel?
16 > No. You have to read the comments of that bug report and do as they
17 > say. The driver needs to use a kernel feature that is disabled in
18 > your kernel. Debian has it enabled.
21 > Sorry, but that's just not true. If I compile a 2.6.27 kernel in debian
22 > with PCI_LEGACY=N, I can still install the "9.2" deb ATI Driver package.
23 >
24 > But the same kernel configured the same way in Gentoo causes the
25 > ati-drivers compile to fail.
26
27 Then I guess you can open a new bug report about it. Maybe that option
28 is not needed anymore. On Gentoo, old stuff tends to accumulate over
29 time and no one really checks if it's still needed. It's very possible
30 that many kernel options the ebuild checks for are not needed at all
31 anymore.