From: Harry Holt <harryholt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: ati-drivers compile issues
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 15:17:26
1 On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Harry Holt wrote:
4 >
5 >> I went to compile the proprietary drivers today from the ati-drivers
6 >> emerge, but nothing up to and including 8.582 will compile do to error:
7 >>
8 >> * The die message:
9 >> * ati-drivers-8.582 requires support for pci_find_slot.
10 >>
11 >> There is a bug about this here: http://bugs.gentoo.org/248118 but oddly
12 >> enough it's status is "RESOLVED" even though it's not.
15 > It is resolved. Enabling that kernel kernel feature resolves it.
18 > I don't know if this error exists upstream or not, but I may try
19 >> installing the 9.3 version from ATI just to find out (if I can get through
20 >> it). I know the Debian version in "squeeze" works but it's a newer version
21 >> as far as I can tell (version numbers are really inconsistent).
22 >>
23 >> Anyway, has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way around it
24 >> without turning on PCI_LEGACY in the kernel?
27 > No. You have to read the comments of that bug report and do as they say.
28 > The driver needs to use a kernel feature that is disabled in your kernel.
29 > Debian has it enabled.
32 Sorry, but that's just not true. If I compile a 2.6.27 kernel in debian
33 with PCI_LEGACY=N, I can still install the "9.2" deb ATI Driver package.
34
35 But the same kernel configured the same way in Gentoo causes the ati-drivers
36 compile to fail.
37
38 ... HH