From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: ati-drivers compile issues
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 15:26:10
1 On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Harry Holt <harryholt@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Harry Holt wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> I went to compile the proprietary drivers today from the ati-drivers
8 >>> emerge, but nothing up to and including 8.582 will compile do to error:
9 >>>
10 >>> * The die message:
11 >>> * ati-drivers-8.582 requires support for pci_find_slot.
12 >>>
13 >>> There is a bug about this here: http://bugs.gentoo.org/248118 but oddly
14 >>> enough it's status is "RESOLVED" even though it's not.
15 >>
16 >> It is resolved. Enabling that kernel kernel feature resolves it.
19 >>> I don't know if this error exists upstream or not, but I may try
20 >>> installing the 9.3 version from ATI just to find out (if I can get through
21 >>> it). I know the Debian version in "squeeze" works but it's a newer version
22 >>> as far as I can tell (version numbers are really inconsistent).
23 >>>
24 >>> Anyway, has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way around it
25 >>> without turning on PCI_LEGACY in the kernel?
26 >>
27 >> No. You have to read the comments of that bug report and do as they say.
28 >> The driver needs to use a kernel feature that is disabled in your kernel.
29 >> Debian has it enabled.
32 > Sorry, but that's just not true. If I compile a 2.6.27 kernel in debian
33 > with PCI_LEGACY=N, I can still install the "9.2" deb ATI Driver package.
34 >
35 > But the same kernel configured the same way in Gentoo causes the ati-drivers
36 > compile to fail.
37
38 What arch are you using in each case? I read that maybe x86 and amd64
39 had different requirements with this driver...