From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Load NTLDR from GRUB?
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 09:22:48
1 Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> posted
2 200710280822.59398.prh@××××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Sun, 28 Oct
3 2007 08:22:59 +0000:
4
5 > On Saturday 27 Oct 2007, Julien Cassette wrote:
6 >> Hello,
7 >> I needed to install Windows XP on a logical partition, but I found that
8 >> it can't boot from such a partition because NTLDR needs to be installed
9 >> on a primary one.
10 >> So I set up the following partition scheme:
11 >> /dev/sda1 ext3 Gentoo root
12 >> /dev/sda2 ntfs NTLDR
13 >> /dev/sda4 Extended
14 >> /dev/sda5 ext2 Gentoo portage
15 >> /dev/sda6 swap Gentoo swap
16 >> /dev/sda7 ext3 Gentoo home
17 >> /dev/sda8 ntfs Windows XP
18 >>
19 >> Win xp installed and booted without problem
20 >
21 > This is interesting. I've had various versions of Windows on various
22 > machines over the years and I've never managed to get grub to start
23 > Windows unless Windows was on the first primary partition. Yet in your
24 > case no part of Windows is on the first primary partition. What's your
25 > secret? Or has the latest version of grub been fixed in this respect?
26
27 By the time I switched to GRUB, I was off of MS/proprietaryware forever
28 (or at least until it's no longer proprietary- aka slaveryware), but back
29 on LILO, and from the GRUB documentation and what I've read of other
30 users, it should be similar -- and even on MS itself (at least 9x, I left
31 it instead of switching to eXPrivacy, precisely because it /was/
32 eXPrivacy, and that was a line I could not and would not cross, period,
33 if neither Linux nor other alternatives were there I'd have been driven
34 to piracy, but luckily they were, and I wasn't), there was and is no need
35 to have anything MS as the first partition.
36
37 What MS OSs *DO* seem to require is that the boot partition be a primary
38 partition, that is, one of the first four, not a logical partition (>4)
39 in a secondary partition. I'm not sure if it's possible to have GRUB/
40 LILO fake this or not.
41
42 MS also normally requires that its boot partition, in addition to being a
43 primary partition, is set bootable. (Only one of the primary partitions
44 can be set bootable.) However, I believe both GRUB and LILO can fake
45 this, making the MS bootloader believe it's on the bootable partition
46 when it's not.
47
48 As Beso mentioned, you also have to configure GRUB/LILO to do the
49 chainloader thing. Basically what the chainloader functionality does is
50 fake out the MS bootloader, making it think it's booting straight out of
51 BIOS, and that whatever previous bootloader (GRUB/LILO in our case) is
52 that BIOS. IOW, the MS bootloader directly parallels GRUB/LILO on its
53 own, so just as you can use Loadln to chainload GRUB/LILO, you can
54 configure GRUB/LILO as a chainloader to load the MS bootloader.
55
56 >> but now that I need to restore GRUB, I am wondering if I need to write
57 >> "root (hd0,1)" or "root (hd0,7)" into the grub.conf to boot windows.
58
59 As Beso mentioned, hd0,1, but don't forget the chainloader, or it's not
60 going to work, because it expects to be booting from BIOS, and the
61 chainloader makes it look as if that's what's happening.
62
63 The reason you use hd0,1 is because that's where the MS bootloader is.
64 If you were booting Linux, you'd put the Linux partition (hd0,7), if
65 something else (say one of the BSDs, or a Fedora/Ubuntu/Mandriva/Mint/
66 whatever Linux install), you'd put its partition. The chainloader...
67 well I explained that above.
72 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
75 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list