From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Load NTLDR from GRUB?
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 08:31:00
1 On Saturday 27 Oct 2007, Julien Cassette wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 > I needed to install Windows XP on a logical partition, but I found that
4 > it can't boot from such a partition because NTLDR needs to be installed
5 > on a primary one.
6 > So I set up the following partition scheme:
7 > /dev/sda1 ext3 Gentoo root
8 > /dev/sda2 ntfs NTLDR
9 > /dev/sda4 Extended
10 > /dev/sda5 ext2 Gentoo portage
11 > /dev/sda6 swap Gentoo swap
12 > /dev/sda7 ext3 Gentoo home
13 > /dev/sda8 ntfs Windows XP
14 >
15 > Win xp installed and booted without problem
16
17 This is interesting. I've had various versions of Windows on various
18 machines over the years and I've never managed to get grub to start Windows
19 unless Windows was on the first primary partition. Yet in your case no part
20 of Windows is on the first primary partition. What's your secret? Or has
21 the latest version of grub been fixed in this respect?
22
23 > but now that I need to restore GRUB, I am wondering if I need to
24 > write "root (hd0,1)" or "root (hd0,7)" into the grub.conf to boot windows.
29 Rgds
30 Peter.
31 Linux Counter 5290, Aug 93
32 --