From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] early boot failure, not sure how to diagnose
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 20:40:58
1 Am 08.08.2013 10:43, schrieb Daiajo Tibdixious:
2 > I got new hardware for a home desktop a few days ago.
3 > Downloaded install-amd64-minimal-20130801.iso and am still booting
4 > from that cd as hard drive boot fails.
5 >
6 > I turned on logging in /etc/rc.conf, but no /var/log/rc.log is produced.
7 > The disks are mounted but readonly. I guess from this the problem is
8 > occurring before the root partition is mounted.
9 >
10 > I only have 4 partitions: boot, swap, root, and home. Since everything
11 > important is on the root partition, I'm not using an initramfs.
12 >
13 > I have many times tried to catch the error by watching the screen, but
14 > it scrolls past way to fast.
15 >
16 > The last part of the boot messages before things go crazy is
17 > "Switching to clocksource TSC".
18 >
19 > I've been reading up on grub, but don't see anyway to get more info on
20 > what is going wrong.
21 >
22 > If I boot from the cd and chroot to the disk, everything seems to work
23 > fine. /boot is ext2 fs and this is my grug.conf:
24 > default 0
25 > timeout 20
26 > splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
27 >
28 > title Gentoo Linux 3.8.13
29 > root (hd0,0)
30 > kernel /boot/3.8/13-0/bzImage root=/dev/sda3
34 and what is happening?