From: "Florian D." <flockmock@×××.at>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Root on Raid and LVM
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 12:35:01
Duncan wrote:
> He didn't say he didn't have an extra boot. He only enumerated the LVs > (logical volumes) on the MD/RAID, which he said was on sda5, sdb5, etc, > all partition 5, on /dev/md5.
yes, i also realized that afterwards..
> > The usual way to handle that, if you are booting from the RAID array > as well, is to create a small raid1 array out of small partitions toward > the front of each physical disk, for /boot. Being raid1 (mirrored), the > same data is imaged to all disks in the raid1 identically. Both GRUB and > LILO can read individual disk partitions belonging to the mirror array as > if they were stand-alone partitions, so can boot from any of them, altho > they do boot from only one at a time.
i have a similar solution with a raid5 for /opt /usr /home, etc. and a small / on raid1. but i think grub is better in this situation, because with the grub shell, in case of a failed disk, the changed identification of the subsequent disks can easily be corrected. i don´t know how lilo handles this.