From: Daiajo Tibdixious <daiajo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: dvdrw drive not visible
Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 07:19:03
1 On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 11:00 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Daiajo Tibdixious <daiajo@×××××.com> posted
3 > a4a9bfcb0905032003i26abb9ccj4d7c7422bc466daa@××××××××××.com, excerpted
4 > below, on  Mon, 04 May 2009 03:03:02 +0000:
5 >
6 >> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 12:19 AM, Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net>
7 >> wrote:
8 >>> On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 22:02 +0000, Daiajo Tibdixious wrote:
9 >>>> When I boot off the live CD there is a /dev/hda /dev/cdrom /dev/cdrw
10 >>>> /dev/dvd /dev/dvdrw etc & it works just fine.
11 >>>>
12 >>>> When I boot off my kernel there are no such devices & I can't use the
13 >>>> drive.
14 >>>>
15 >>>> This is the same drive as in my old system, which just worked with no
16 >>>> tweaking before.
17 >>>>
18 >>>> Obviously I am missing some driver, yet I have grovelled thru
19 >>>> menuconfig to no avail.
20 >>>> Google turns up many similar problems, however none have been helpful.
21 >>>>
22 >>>> If I boot off the live cd, is there a way to see what options I need?
23 >>>>
24 >>>> The drive shows as "PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-109" on the live cd.
25 >
26 > Just saw this again after your reply to DD.  I think you're correct, the
27 > device isn't showing up (missing driver), so it's not even getting to the
28 > hal/dbus stage.
29 >
30 > I just googled that drive, ATAPI/IDE it looks like, right?
31 >
32 > IDE can use two different driver sets in the kernel.  There's still the
33 > old IDE drivers (ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support), but there's also the libata
34 > based drivers (Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental)
35 > drivers).  The latter are what most folks (including me) use these days.
36 > Let's see if I can find the stuff in my kernel config that the ATAPI DVD-
37 > Writers use:
38 >
39 > Under Device Drivers:
40 >
41 > As mentioned, the SATA/PATA option, which simply enables that entire
42 > submenu to be chosen from.
43 >
44 > Under SATA/PATA support, ATA SFF support, which again, enables a whole
45 > list of individual device drivers to be chosen from.
46 >
47 > Under ATA SFF, choose your specific hardware drivers.  Here, I have
48 > Silicon Image SATA support for my SATA ports (symbol SATA_SIL, which
49 > would be unrelated to anything IDE except that they still use the legacy
50 > SFF interface, thus they are listed under ATA SFF) and AMD/NVidia PATA
51 > support for my legacy PATA ports, which is what my DVD-writers are on.
52 >
53 > Of course you will most likely have different hardware, but if you're
54 > using the newer SATA/PATA option and SFF, as would be recommended if you
55 > have SATA ports at all so as to avoid having both that and the legacy IDE
56 > drivers, it will likely be found here, under ATA SFF.
57 >
58 > If you don't see your specific hardware, Generic ATA support should work
59 > using the BIOS config, altho it's possible/likely you won't get full
60 > speed DMA without the chipset specific drivers.  If you end up using the
61
62 Enabling the generic driver gave me a /dev/sr0 & the drive now works.
63
64 > generic option and don't get full speed, google your specific board model
65 > at google.com/linux (thus limiting it to the Linux subdomain and reducing
66 > your general and MS platform hits), and see if you get anything useful,
67
68 Thanks for that link, I didn't know about it.
69 I'll look into the specific chip driver later on, as I have a more
70 severe problem (which I'll post in another thread).