From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: dvdrw drive not visible
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 11:01:07
1 Daiajo Tibdixious <daiajo@×××××.com> posted
2 a4a9bfcb0905032003i26abb9ccj4d7c7422bc466daa@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Mon, 04 May 2009 03:03:02 +0000:
4
5 > On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 12:19 AM, Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net>
6 > wrote:
7 >> On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 22:02 +0000, Daiajo Tibdixious wrote:
8 >>> When I boot off the live CD there is a /dev/hda /dev/cdrom /dev/cdrw
9 >>> /dev/dvd /dev/dvdrw etc & it works just fine.
10 >>>
11 >>> When I boot off my kernel there are no such devices & I can't use the
12 >>> drive.
13 >>>
14 >>> This is the same drive as in my old system, which just worked with no
15 >>> tweaking before.
16 >>>
17 >>> Obviously I am missing some driver, yet I have grovelled thru
18 >>> menuconfig to no avail.
19 >>> Google turns up many similar problems, however none have been helpful.
20 >>>
21 >>> If I boot off the live cd, is there a way to see what options I need?
22 >>>
23 >>> The drive shows as "PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-109" on the live cd.
24
25 Just saw this again after your reply to DD. I think you're correct, the
26 device isn't showing up (missing driver), so it's not even getting to the
27 hal/dbus stage.
28
29 I just googled that drive, ATAPI/IDE it looks like, right?
30
31 IDE can use two different driver sets in the kernel. There's still the
32 old IDE drivers (ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support), but there's also the libata
33 based drivers (Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental)
34 drivers). The latter are what most folks (including me) use these days.
35 Let's see if I can find the stuff in my kernel config that the ATAPI DVD-
36 Writers use:
37
38 Under Device Drivers:
39
40 As mentioned, the SATA/PATA option, which simply enables that entire
41 submenu to be chosen from.
42
43 Under SATA/PATA support, ATA SFF support, which again, enables a whole
44 list of individual device drivers to be chosen from.
45
46 Under ATA SFF, choose your specific hardware drivers. Here, I have
47 Silicon Image SATA support for my SATA ports (symbol SATA_SIL, which
48 would be unrelated to anything IDE except that they still use the legacy
49 SFF interface, thus they are listed under ATA SFF) and AMD/NVidia PATA
50 support for my legacy PATA ports, which is what my DVD-writers are on.
51
52 Of course you will most likely have different hardware, but if you're
53 using the newer SATA/PATA option and SFF, as would be recommended if you
54 have SATA ports at all so as to avoid having both that and the legacy IDE
55 drivers, it will likely be found here, under ATA SFF.
56
57 If you don't see your specific hardware, Generic ATA support should work
58 using the BIOS config, altho it's possible/likely you won't get full
59 speed DMA without the chipset specific drivers. If you end up using the
60 generic option and don't get full speed, google your specific board model
61 at google.com/linux (thus limiting it to the Linux subdomain and reducing
62 your general and MS platform hits), and see if you get anything useful,
63 or post the board and/or chipset model here and ask. You could of course
64 try the older IDE drivers as well, but I'd suggest avoiding it if
65 possible, if you're already using SATA on the same board, as is likely on
66 AMD64 and newer hardware.
71 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman