From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Machine recommendations?
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 03:11:55
1 Thanasis posted on Mon, 16 Mar 2015 22:37:50 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 03/16/2015 08:31 AM, Duncan wrote:
4 >> Thanasis posted on Sun, 15 Mar 2015 21:44:54 +0200 as excerpted:
5 >>
6 >>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151113
7 >>
8 >> So it's /not/ a standard ATX power supply,
9 >
10 > If the case has enough space to accommodate it, then all you might have
11 > to do is drill a hole or two for the fixing screws.
14 >> 2) This PSU /does/ say "super low fan noise" in the specs, and the
15 >> reviews seem to agree, tho the noise level in dB isn't actually
16 >> quantified for comparison purposes.
17 >>
18 >> I'd be a bit skeptical of the feature claim on its own without an
19 >> actual comparable dB quantification, but the reviews do alleviate my
20 >> skepticism somewhat. That may be an additional reason for the price.
21 >
22 > Most probably this PSU is going to be totally silent for you. Why? Take
23 > a closer look at the third one image, the small label near the PSU's fan
24 > (rotate the image 180 degrees to read it):
25 >
26 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151113
27
28 I see it now. Thanks, both of you. =:^) (Someone else mailed me directly
29 pointing that out as well. Maybe they don't want their address posted
30 publicly on the list and thus didn't post there, so I won't be specific.)
33 And someone else mailed, saying lucky me, they can still only get 1.5
34 Mbit DSL. FWIW, I'm actually on a much lower plan now, ~6 Mbit/768 Kbyte/
35 sec down, I think 1.5 Mbit up (I'm actually not sure on the upstream, but
36 it's certainly slower). I do use it for some higher quality youtube
37 streams, and of course for larger sources tarball downloads, but not
38 really for much else. (Netflix, etc, the common modern high-bandwidth
39 usage, is DRMed with, AFAIK, closed source decoding required, which makes
40 it not an option, for me.)
41
42 But my theory has always been that in-home LANs really didn't really take
43 off at 10 Mbit either -- it wasn't until 100 Mbit fast-ethernet that
44 speeds were fast enough to really start doing more than limited stuff
45 over the LAN instead of local storage or at least cache and sneakernet.
46 I actually believe there's a breakover threshold somewhere between 10 Mbit
47 and 100 Mbit, arguably near 50 Mbit or 64 Mbit (8 Mbyte), and that once
48 access speeds exceed that, it becomes much less trouble to store things
49 centrally (once in the home with 100 Mbit LANs, once on the net with
50 50-100 Mbit plus WANs) and simply download on demand.
51
52 If that's the case, and I think it may well be so with me, usage will
53 increase only somewhat as speeds go up between say half a megabit or even
54 simply always-on 140 kbps ISDL, thru 30 Mbit and possibly up to near 64
55 Mbit. But somewhere around 64 Mbit, 8 Mbyte, I expect I'd reach a
56 usability threshold and my usage would take a huge jump, much as it did
57 when I left dialup and switched to always-on.
58
59 So I really haven't seen the need for more bandwidth, at the still
60 significantly under 64 or 100 Mbit speeds previously on offer. Yes, I
61 use more bandwidth than I used to with my 608 kbps connection, but not /
62 that/ much more. But were I to go gigablast or even the so-called
63 ultimate plan, IIRC 150 Mbps, I expect things would change and I'd both
64 consider it worth it, and try my best to avoid dropping below that
65 threshold ever again, must as when I first got always-on DSL, there
66 really was no going back to dialup.
67
68 With this router I've been thinking about for awhile and now actually
69 plan to start procuring parts later this week after I do some more
70 research over my coming days off, my own network should be ready for it,
71 making it an option I can practically look at and probably eventually
72 get, even if "eventually" ends up being another year or two or five...
73 To date, I've not really considered it that much as I've known with the
74 current router I couldn't make use of the over-threshold speed if I /did/
75 upgrade to it, I'd get some upgrade, but still be in the below-threshold
76 doldrums where I'd not find it particularly useful.
81 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman