From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: libmad sound artifacts
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 03:20:32
1 On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 8:22 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2
3 [...]
4
5 > The strong indication is therefore that the problem isn't in the
6 > processing per se, but that the libmad processing is either too CPU
7 > intensive for your system config in real-time, or that it's defaulting to
8 > an incompatible sampling rate for your system and/or soundcard, and
9 > sending it to wav first uses a different process and/or sample rate.
10
11 I don't think the processor is the culprit; I have an AMD 64 X2 3800+,
12 and I know it no longer is the fastest thing around, but still. The
13 sample rate is a possibility, though, but then again why it worked
14 before and not now?
15
16 > From what you said, it /used/ to work fine. Assuming that's the case,
17 > the problem may not be with libmad at all, but with recent kernel changes
18 > and/or latency or priority changes on your system. It's a pretty big
19 > field of possibilities to try to narrow down from, IOW.
20
21 I upgrade to stable gentoo-sources when they come out, but the latency
22 and priority options in my kernel are the same. Besides, nice -n -20
23 madplay doesn't solves the problem.
24
25 > Or, it could be the sampling rate, as I mentioned. I don't know, does
26 > libmad allow fiddling with that? When was your latest upgrade and does
27 > the changelog mention anything about new sampling defaults or the like?
28 > (FWIW, here I'm no libmad-0.15.1b-r4, with the dates on the files
29 > suggesting I last merged it on March 17, which would have been the emerge
30 > -e world after I upgraded to gcc-4.3.0. I am however on ~amd64 with gcc
31 > and binutils always unmasked to the absolute latest in-tree regardless of
32 > keywording, and always emerge --upgrade --deep. If you are on stable and/
33 > or don't regularly use --deep, you may have an earlier version; epkginfo
34 > says -r2 is latest stable, but 0.15.1b is going to be the latest upstream
35 > release.)
36
37 I upgrade every week, deep and newuse. Before the problem, the last
38 update for libmad was in August of 2007. And all the reviews in the
39 ebuilds change only cflags and configure options, and I have tried all
40 of them.
41
42 > One thing to note is that libmad isn't the only mp3 decoder available.
43
44 I know; but I try to use GNOME, and I **really** like Rhythmbox and
45 Totem. That means using GStreamer, which uses MAD as MP3 decoder. I
46 can hear my music with mpg123, but that's besides the point: I want to
47 fix the problem, not work around it.
48
49 Thanks anyway.
50 --