From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: libmad sound artifacts
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 07:30:36
1 "=?UTF-8?Q?Canek_Pel=C3=A1ez_Vald=C3=A9s?=" <caneko@×××××.com> posted
2 ee2a916a0803262020v24cc0399l9c56ddb7ca0a54c4@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Wed, 26 Mar 2008 21:20:30 -0600:
4
5 > I upgrade to stable gentoo-sources when they come out, but the latency
6 > and priority options in my kernel are the same. Besides, nice -n -20
7 > madplay doesn't solves the problem.
8
9 You probably know this, but you didn't say, and to be sure...
10
11 As root, or with the appropriate capacities, right? Because regular
12 users aren't normally allowed to decrease niceness (increase priority),
13 only increase niceness (decrease priority). So if you were trying
14 nice -n -20 it as a regular user (without any additional caps), it'd only
15 schedule it at zero, which is what it would normally run at, so no
16 difference would be expected, regardless.
17
18 Anyway, if it was working before, it's unlikely that's it, just
19 possible. I'd guess it's a sample rate issue instead. That is, unless
20 you tried the tickless kernel option or modified Hz, or possibly if you
21 switched scheduler or kernel or something. Just to see, you could /try/
22 compiling the kernel with Hz=1000 and tickless turned off. I doubt it'll
23 do any good, but if it does, you /know/ it's a scheduling issue.
24
25 Another just-in-case question. You aren't trying to run some fancy
26 visualization are you? OTOH, you tried several players so I don't know
27 how that could be it. Just trying to think of things...
28
29 As for gstreamer itself, I never had any luck with it. Just wouldn't
30 work for me, probably because I didn't have it configured right, but
31 since I'm a KDE person, it wasn't a high priority to get it configured
32 right, and I eventually just unmerged it. So I can't be of any help at
33 all to you on that angle. Except... if it has a configurable audio
34 buffer size, you might try increasing that. I know arts did on the KDE
35 side, but it has been unmaintained for some time and I found it easier
36 just to run without arts as well -- FAR FAR less trouble that way, once I
37 figured out how to get the knotify sounds playing without it.
38
39 Hopefully these rather shots in the dark help, or someone else can...
40
41 It still sounds like a sample rate or similar incompatibility to me,
42 tho. If I used the same software, I might be able to tell you what to do
43 to change that, or if it's even possible, but I don't, so again,
44 hopefully someone else can help you there 'cause I can't.
49 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
52 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list