From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: another "little" problem appeared (ATI driver/direct rendering/kernel)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:11:16
1 Michel Merinoff <mike_merinov@××××××××.uk> posted
2 455AC899.3030908@××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Wed, 15 Nov 2006
3 10:58:17 +0300:
4
5 > Hm. I found, that when I run 'make && make modules_install' it permanently
6 > set CONFIG_IOMMU to yes, even if I unset it manually before. How do I
7 > avoid it?
8
9 By manually you mean editing the .config file directly? If so, you must
10 run make old-config to update everything else before running a make, or
11 it'll use the old settings. The .config file is simply a nicely portable
12 way to package up all the settings in one place, but the build system
13 doesn't normally use it until you import it using make oldconfig, updating
14 the multitude of settings in the multitude of locations that the build
15 system normally uses.
16
17 If that forces it on as well, then you have something else configured on
18 that requires it, somewhere. Perhaps grepping the sources? I don't know
19 where all the help texts are saved or I'd suggest grepping them only since
20 they tell what dependencies they set and the like.
25 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
28 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list