From: Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: grub fs support
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:08:15
1 Duncan, mused, then expounded:
2 > Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××.com> posted 20090126230132.GI43269@×××.com,
3 > > From the Grub online manual -
4 > >
5 > > Support multiple filesystem types transparently, plus a useful explicit
6 > > blocklist notation. The currently supported filesystem types are BSD
7 > > FFS, DOS FAT16 and FAT32, Minix fs, Linux ext2fs, ReiserFS, JFS, XFS,
8 > > and VSTa fs.
9 > >
10 > > I can give examples where is doesn't work with XFS.
11 > >
12 > > I haven't seen it fail with ext3, but I've not tested all configs.
13 >
14 > First, Bob, specifically which "online manual"? Do you mean the manpage,
15 > the infopages, or a specific manual at the official site, and if it's the
16 > manpage or infopages, are you talking Gentoo's which may be patched to
17 > reflect the patches Gentoo applies, or the official versions, and if you
18 > mean official online, were you looking at the GRUB-2 official or
19 > GRUB-0.97 official?
22 Grub-0.97 online or info grub on an system with grub-0.97 on it.
23 I'll note that neither doc has been updated since 2006.
24
25 > Meanwhile, what I expect the problem is with ext3, and why most people
26 > never see it, is that while grub (legacy) has original ext2 support, it
27 > doesn't replay the journal before trying to use the filesystem.
28
29 Actually while this is the problem, it's exaggerated by the fact that
30 the typical install (non-Gentoo) doesn't use a seperate boot partition.
31 In the normal, commerical setting, /boot resides as part of /. Thus
32 /boot is always mounted. And as you point out with a system crash it's
33 possible that the journal will need to be replayed before a system boot
34 can happen.
35
36 In the other cases where there is a seperate /boot partition, using
37 a journaled file system requires a larger /boot due to the journal now
38 taking up space - /boot will need to go larger than the typical 127MB.
39 Plus the need for a lost+found directory entry for that partition.
40
41 Bob
42 -