From: Bernhard Auzinger <e0026053@×××××××××××××××××.at>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Problems after upgrading to 4GB Ram
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 07:49:59
1 Am Sonntag 11 Juni 2006 01:36 schrieb Tony Johnson:
2 > On Sunday 11 June 2006 08:04, Richard Lucking wrote:
3 > > I've got a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 motherboard, which had 2GB of memory,
4 > > and worked perfectly. I upgraded to 4GB, and have spent the last 24 hours
5 > > trying to get everything to work again!
6 > >
7 > > memtest86plus was running overnight, with no errors, so I assume the
8 > > memory is fine.
9 > >
10 > > The system is very unstable now, and will lock up at random intervals -
11 > > during booting, starting firefox, random points compiling kernels, etc
12 > > etc etc.
13 >
14 > I have the same motherboard. Initially I had 1Gb RAM, but when I upgraded
15 > to 2Gb I experienced the same type of problems... not so many lock-ups, but
16 > compilation of anything seemd to stop at random times with random fatal
17 > errors. Memtest was fine... everything "seemed" fine.
18 >
19 > To fix the problem, I replaced the 2Gb "no-name" RAM with 4Gb GEIL RAM, and
20 > lo-and-behold, not a single problem since... The other RAM has been
21 > relegated to a 32bit box, and there is no problems.
22 >
23 > So, maybe it is just the quality of the components that is the issue.
24 >
25 > - tony
26
27 I had similar problems when I was upgrading my memory. Finally it was a known
28 issue with the Winchester's memory controller. It can't handle fast timings
29 in dual channel mode, when all memory banks are filled. So I switched to a
30 slower RAM timing and all worked fine.
31
32 rgds
33
34 Bernhard