From: Tony Johnson <tony@××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Problems after upgrading to 4GB Ram
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 23:46:50
1 On Sunday 11 June 2006 08:04, Richard Lucking wrote:
2 > I've got a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 motherboard, which had 2GB of memory, and
3 > worked perfectly. I upgraded to 4GB, and have spent the last 24 hours
4 > trying to get everything to work again!
5 >
6 > memtest86plus was running overnight, with no errors, so I assume the memory
7 > is fine.
8 >
9 > The system is very unstable now, and will lock up at random intervals -
10 > during booting, starting firefox, random points compiling kernels, etc etc
11 > etc.
12
13 I have the same motherboard. Initially I had 1Gb RAM, but when I upgraded to
14 2Gb I experienced the same type of problems... not so many lock-ups, but
15 compilation of anything seemd to stop at random times with random fatal
16 errors. Memtest was fine... everything "seemed" fine.
17
18 To fix the problem, I replaced the 2Gb "no-name" RAM with 4Gb GEIL RAM, and
19 lo-and-behold, not a single problem since... The other RAM has been relegated
20 to a 32bit box, and there is no problems.
21
22 So, maybe it is just the quality of the components that is the issue.
23
24 - tony
25 --
26 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list