From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How much value does llvm provide for a low-use laptop?
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 18:39:08
1 On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Montag, 17. April 2017 03:17:21 CEST Duncan wrote:
4 > > Martin Vaeth posted on Sun, 16 Apr 2017 18:01:00 +0000 as excerpted:
5 > > > Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
6 > > >> If you're not using radeon/amdgpu, you can probably disable it with
7 > > >> little consequence.
8 > > >
9 > > > Googleearth on intel's graphics card becomes unusable slow if mesa is
10 > > > compiled without llvm.
11 > >
12 > > Thanks. I wasn't aware Intel graphics used llvm too. Now I am. =:^)
13 >
14 > I'm not sure, but even if they didn't, AFAIK mesa uses LLVM to speed up
15 CPU
16 > rendering, so you would probably want it regardless (my understanding is:
17 in
18 > any case where a driver doesn't implement a particular OpenGL function, a
19 > software implementation can be used instead, and that can be accelerated/
20 > optimised by LLVM).
21 >
22 > > Does anyone know about nVidia graphics, both servantware and
23 freedomware?
24 > > I'm guessing the servantware doesn't use it, but the freedomware very
25 > > well could, if both Intel and AMD are doing so.
26 >
27 > I would be surprised if the nouveau driver didn't use LLVM, too, but I
28 don't
29 > know for sure. No idea about nvidia.
30 >
31 > > And while we're on the topic, last I knew nVidia had no plans to do
32 > > wayland with their servantware at all. Any hints of that changing?
33 >
34 > No idea, sorry (also, I don't care ;-) ).
35 >
36 > Greetings
37 > --
38 > Marc Joliet
39
40 Just a follow-up.
41
42 I got rid of llvm on my Gentoo nvidia machine and so far see no ill
43 effects. Granted, I'm using an i7 980 Extreme, 24GB with an nvidia
44 960-based card, so it's pretty good hardware but I've seen no ill effects
45 so far.
46
47 Additionally, with Google releasing Google Earth as a web app at least
48 inside of Chrome it runs fine. Pan/zoom/tilt 3D views of the world. Lots of
49 fun and if it was faster with llvm I don't think I'd notice it.
50
51 As for my wife's laptop which started this discussion I had an emerge 2
52 weeks ago of about 200 packages, mostly KDE, which took almost 24 hours to
53 build on a 5-6 year old laptop.This time around I have about 175 packages
54 today. We'll see how long it takes as a data point but I've decided to move
55 her to Ubuntu. I think I need to be spending my time more productively than
56 building this much code this often. I already run Ubuntu as a VM on my
57 Gentoo machine due to apps not supported (or not building correctly) by
58 Gentoo in portage. Sad as it will be the first non-Gentoo boot in my house
59 in about 15 years.