From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How much value does llvm provide for a low-use laptop?
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2017 20:04:15
1 On Montag, 17. April 2017 03:17:21 CEST Duncan wrote:
2 > Martin Vaeth posted on Sun, 16 Apr 2017 18:01:00 +0000 as excerpted:
3 > > Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
4 > >> If you're not using radeon/amdgpu, you can probably disable it with
5 > >> little consequence.
6 > >
7 > > Googleearth on intel's graphics card becomes unusable slow if mesa is
8 > > compiled without llvm.
9 >
10 > Thanks. I wasn't aware Intel graphics used llvm too. Now I am. =:^)
11
12 I'm not sure, but even if they didn't, AFAIK mesa uses LLVM to speed up CPU
13 rendering, so you would probably want it regardless (my understanding is: in
14 any case where a driver doesn't implement a particular OpenGL function, a
15 software implementation can be used instead, and that can be accelerated/
16 optimised by LLVM).
17
18 > Does anyone know about nVidia graphics, both servantware and freedomware?
19 > I'm guessing the servantware doesn't use it, but the freedomware very
20 > well could, if both Intel and AMD are doing so.
21
22 I would be surprised if the nouveau driver didn't use LLVM, too, but I don't
23 know for sure. No idea about nvidia.
24
25 > And while we're on the topic, last I knew nVidia had no plans to do
26 > wayland with their servantware at all. Any hints of that changing?
27
28 No idea, sorry (also, I don't care ;-) ).
29
30 Greetings
31 --
32 Marc Joliet
33 --
34 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
35 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup