From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] World packages
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 23:26:32
1 Hi all,
2 I have a few packages listed in /var/lib/portage/world that I was
3 wondering whether they needed to be in there? Thanks in advance,
4
5 1) Emulation stuff
6
7 app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-java
8 app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-qtlibs
9
10 Nothing seems to depend on them. Can I remove them?
11
12 lightning ~ # equery depends emul-linux-x86-java
13 [ Searching for packages depending on emul-linux-x86-java... ]
14 lightning ~ # equery depends emul-linux-x86-qtlibs
15 [ Searching for packages depending on emul-linux-x86-qtlibs... ]
16 lightning ~ #
19 2) Java stuff:
20
21 dev-java/sun-jdk
22 dev-java/sun-jdk:1.5
23 dev-java/sun-jdk:1.6
24 dev-java/sun-jre-bin
25
26 jre AND jdk? Are both necessary? And are both Java 1.5 & 1.6 required
27 these days? I'm not sure how to figure that out with any certainty.
28
29 3) Fonts.
30
31 I suppose font packages are just a choice? Load however many I want? I
32 have a bunch on the machine.
33
34 I'm not concerned about disk space. I can leave everything. Just
35 cleaning up if there's a good reason.
36
37 Thanks,
38 Mark