From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Video server for mac clients
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 19:49:14
1 On Monday 19 September 2005 18:24, P.V.Anthony wrote:
2 > Thanks to both of your advice.
3 >
4 > Yes it is true that I want to mount the remote server as local to
5 > mount/edit the videos store on it.
6 >
7 > From your reply, I understand that NFS is the fastest. Any advice on the
8 > resource fork files that are with Mac files? Will the resource files get
9 > transfered across? Does NFS see the resource files?
10
11 No, NFS does not see forks, unless the client on the mac makes a translation
12 of forks to NFS. In any case to use your amd64 based videoserver you must use
13 a linux based video processing application either (at least for the server
14 part). It doesn't make much sense to use such a beefy machine only for
15 storing datafiles does it? Even if there are native mac clients, your
16 applications will not be able to use resource forks to work with a linux
17 server.
18
19 Paul
22 Paul de Vrieze