From: "P.V.Anthony" <pvantony@×××××××××××.sg>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Video server for mac clients
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:26:41
1 Thanks to both of your advice.
2
3 Yes it is true that I want to mount the remote server as local to mount/edit the
4 videos store on it.
5
6 From your reply, I understand that NFS is the fastest. Any advice on the
7 resource fork files that are with Mac files? Will the resource files get
8 transfered across? Does NFS see the resource files?
9
10 Please do continue to advice.
11
12 Again thank you for these advice.
13
14 P.V.Anthony
17 Jordi Molina wrote:
18 > Hi list,
19 >
20 > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that he wants to mount the remote
21 > server as local to mount/edit the videos stored on it.
22 >
23 > In that case, even using the fastest protocol (IMO, choosing btween
24 > AT, SMB or NFS, it's NFS) the delay on performance will be
25 > "noticeable", just say it on this way, it won't be the same than doing
26 > a RAID0 on the macs and editing the files from there.
27 >
28 > But, if you mean that you'll use the amd64 as a fileserver, or just to
29 > store the originals and the produced masters, i recommend you using
30 > NFS.
34 > Hope it helps a little bit :)
37 > Jordi