From: Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: 64 newbie
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:43:37
1 Thanks Duncan for your mail - I'll do my best to follow your guidelines
2
3 On Tuesday, 24 January 2006 15:36, Duncan wrote:
4 > The biggest suggestion I have is DON'T STOP WITH THE INSTALLATION SECTION
5 > IN THE HANDBOOK! You said you've "toyed" with Gentoo, but I that doesn't
6 > really say how much you know about it.
7
8 by "toying" I mean I've run through the basic installation several time, both
9 on x86 and ppc machines, mostly with the goal of getting a better
10 understanding of how a Linux distribution is set up. I did not stop with the
11 installation section, but it's clearly the part I know best!
12
13 Usually, after that, I got to some place were I had a problem and... let
14 Gentoo live were it was while continuing to use my main distro (Mepis Linux
15 for over two years). I did come back from time to time to try things, such as
16 going through an emerge --update --deep world to see if I would manage it.
17
18 Since I will keep my trusty double-Athlon running (either as main computer or
19 backup server) I'll have plenty of time to setup the Opteron and even a
20 complete crash would not be a big problem at first.
21 So as far as time permits I'll RTFM in details this time.
22
23 I'd just end with saying that I am neither a progammer, nor a learned system
24 manager, so some subtilities about flags and so escape my understanding.
25 However, being a teacher, I'll be happy toget back to student level and ask
26 questions here when necessary.
27
28 Regards,
29
30 Thierry
33 The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
34 capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
35 safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
36 Frank Zappa
37 --
38 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list