From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: 64 newbie
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 15:43:25
1 Thierry de Coulon posted <200601232247.51501.tcoulon@××××××××.ch>,
2 excerpted below, on Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:47:51 +0000:
3
4 > I have been a Linux user for over five years - mostly using SuSE first, then
5 > Debian based distributions, but from time to time "toying" with Gentoo.
6 >
7 > Now I'm in the process of building an Opteron based machine and decided it
8 > would be a good idea to build a Gentoo-amd64 distribution.
9 >
10 > I've googled quite a bit but I would still like to ask a few questions, such
11 > as:
12 > - are there special points I should pay attention to or can I simply follow
13 > the amd64 install instruction?
14
15 Following the instructions will get you there, sometimes with a detour or
16 two to the group to ask questions if there's some stickler or another for
17 your system.
18
19 The biggest suggestion I have is DON'T STOP WITH THE INSTALLATION SECTION
20 IN THE HANDBOOK! You said you've "toyed" with Gentoo, but I that doesn't
21 really say how much you know about it. I'm frequently surprised by the
22 number of folks who've been running Gentoo for some time, but who don't
23 know what I consider Gentoo basics -- stuff explained quite well in the
24 Working with Gentoo and Working with Portage sections of the handbook.
25 Seriously, if you've never taken time to read them in your "toyings",
26 now's a very good time to do so. Those sections cover some pretty
27 important basics for being a good Gentoo user == Gentoo system sysadmin,
28 with all the responsibilities and power that implies.
29
30 As one small sample of the tidbits covered, coonsider adding "buildpkg" to
31 the FEATURES line in make.conf. This will cause portage to create binary
32 packages every time it emerges something. If for some reason you want to
33 roll-back to a previous version, it's a WHOLE lot simpler to simply emerge
34 -K =package-version, and let portage unpack your previous version, than it
35 is to have to rebuild the entire thing from source.
36
37 Because binpkgs are regular tar.bz2 tarballs, only with a bit of portage
38 metainformation tacked onto the end, it's also possible to use the binpkgs
39 in other ways. If portage dies, for instance, you can simply untar an old
40 version directly over the broken one on the live filesystem (be sure and
41 backup your customized make.conf -- any config files -- first, as
42 untarring directly over the live filesystem will of course replace them
43 too, so you'll have to restore your customized versions after the untar
44 operation). That gives you a working portage again, but of course, the
45 portage database is now out of since with what's on the system, because
46 you bypassed portage with the untar, so you'll now want to remerge the
47 same binary package over the untarred version to get portage's database
48 back in sync. Of course, if it's gcc that breaks, you can simply emerge
49 -K a working gcc. You can also browse the tarballs with mc or ark or
50 whatever, comparing the files between versions or to what's on your system
51 currently, restoring individual files if desired, and the like.
52
53 The space required to store all those binpkgs? 1 gig will probably do it,
54 but you'll have to remove the extra copies fairly frequently. 2 gig is a
55 minimum "comfortable" allocation. I have mine on its own 4-gig partition,
56 now, and that's quite roomy. It's well worth the space, IMO! (The space
57 requirement isn't mentioned in the handbook, so that's a bonus you get
58 from reading my post!)
59
60 All-in-all, FEATURES=buildpkg is a VERY handy thing to have enabled, and
61 something *I* think should be the default. However, unless you continue
62 reading in the handbook beyond the install section, or come across it in a
63 discussion such as this, that's a feature you'll likely entirely miss!
64 There are other invaluable hints in those sections as well. You really
65 can't afford to miss them, but unfortunately, a lot of people do.
66
67 > - As far as I understand there are still lots of programs that won't compile
68 > in 64 bit. What will happen if I try to emerge such a program?
69
70 You already know about keywords, right? Gentoo packages that are known to
71 work on amd64 are marked ~amd64 or amd64, just as ~x86 or x86 denotes
72 those that work on standard 32-bit x86 (with ~arch denoting testing, of
73 course). If you are working with portage, it'll manage those just as it
74 does on x86. No worries.
75
76 If you want to try a package that's not yet keyworded, you can of course
77 either use package.keywords or copy it to your overlay and make the
78 necessary mods there, again, just as if you were doing it on x86, only
79 with amd64 instead. If it works for you, please file a keyword bug
80 (instructiions in the Gentoo-amd64 documentation). If it's a package not
81 in portage, again, the usual procedures that apply to x86 apply here as
82 well, only with a somewhat lower chance of success, unless you do some
83 work fixing things up to make it work on amd64, and with 64-bit compiling
84 instead of 32-bit. (There's 32-bit compiling also available, see the
85 gentoo-amd64 docs for more.)
86
87 > - it seems most of the multimedia codecs still are 32 bit. Can you use these
88 > on a 64 bit distro?
89
90 Yes and no. Yes, you can make use of them, but no, not with your regular
91 64-bit programs, because 32-bit code and 64-bit code in the same execution
92 space (as with 32-bit shared-object codecs loaded into 64-bit programs)
93 simply doesn't work. Gentoo has precomiled 32-bit compatibility versions
94 of firefox, mplayer, and the like, which can be merged, along with the
95 32-bit codecs. The 64-bit regular version and 32-bit compatibility binary
96 can even both be merged on the same system, without overwriting each other!
97
98 You can also do your own 32-bit compiling, using a 32-bit chroot or the
99 like, but there are some complexities to that, so unless you are
100 hard-core, the pkg-bin prebuild compatiblity packages are recommended.
101 Again, there's documentation available to help with the chroot method, if
102 that's what you want to do.
103
104 > - other 64 bit distributions (I've downloaded SuSE and Kubuntu) will allready
105 > have dealt with most compatibility problems. Should I learn more about 64 bit
106 > specificities before attempting to build a Gentoo-64 system?
107
108 As others have said, it's not really necessary. As a general user, you
109 just install it, and it generally works. Developers and advanced users
110 can do more, of course, but it's possible and recommended to learn as you
111 go.
116 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
117 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
121 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list