From: Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] 64 newbie
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 21:51:51
1 Hello all,
2
3 I have been a Linux user for over five years - mostly using SuSE first, then
4 Debian based distributions, but from time to time "toying" with Gentoo.
5
6 Now I'm in the process of building an Opteron based machine and decided it
7 would be a good idea to build a Gentoo-amd64 distribution.
8
9 I've googled quite a bit but I would still like to ask a few questions, such
10 as:
11 - are there special points I should pay attention to or can I simply follow
12 the amd64 install instruction?
13 - As far as I understand there are still lots of programs that won't compile
14 in 64 bit. What will happen if I try to emerge such a program?
15 - it seems most of the multimedia codecs still are 32 bit. Can you use these
16 on a 64 bit distro?
17 - other 64 bit distributions (I've downloaded SuSE and Kubuntu) will allready
18 have dealt with most compatibility problems. Should I learn more about 64 bit
19 specificities before attempting to build a Gentoo-64 system?
20
21 Thanks for any advice.
22
23 Thierry
26 The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
27 capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
28 safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
29 Frank Zappa
30 --
31 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list