From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] 64 newbie
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:08:07
1 On Monday 23 January 2006 23:47, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
2 > Hello all,
3 >
4 > I have been a Linux user for over five years - mostly using SuSE first,
5 > then Debian based distributions, but from time to time "toying" with
6 > Gentoo.
7 >
8 > Now I'm in the process of building an Opteron based machine and decided it
9 > would be a good idea to build a Gentoo-amd64 distribution.
10 >
11 > I've googled quite a bit but I would still like to ask a few questions,
12 > such as:
13 > - are there special points I should pay attention to or can I simply follow
14 > the amd64 install instruction?
15
16 just follow it.
17
18 > - As far as I understand there are still lots of programs that won't
19 > compile in 64 bit. What will happen if I try to emerge such a program?
20
21 nothing, it will fail somewhere. A little bit of wasted clock cycles. Nothing
22 else.
23
24 > - it seems most of the multimedia codecs still are 32 bit. Can you use
25 > these on a 64 bit distro?
26
27 yes. emerge mplayer-bin
28
29 > - other 64 bit distributions (I've downloaded SuSE and Kubuntu) will
30 > allready have dealt with most compatibility problems. Should I learn more
31 > about 64 bit specificities before attempting to build a Gentoo-64 system?
32
33 don't know what you mean. If it is about flash - install opera.
34 --
35 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list