From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Keyboard Stops Working Under X
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 21:03:24
1 On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 23:13:30 -0600
2 Steven Lembark <lembark@×××××××.com> wrote:
5 > Q: What do you need the custom xconfig for?
6 >
7 > You might find that life is easier if you remove
8 > the xorg.conf, switch to evdev as the input,
11 [The following is only an innocent spiel, and is not intended
12 to be in any way unfriendly.]
13
14 Make life easier? Nothing could be further from the truth.
15
16 After doing some research into making the supposedly simple change
17 of switching to evdev, I find that I am required to:
18
19 1) Reconfigure the kernel to include many things, such as hotplug,
20 which I do not want or need.
21
22 2) Install and configure udev, which is a horrendous and totally
23 unwarranted and needless nightmare.
24
25 3) Trash my established (and simple) /dev tree
26
27 4) Get rid of module-init-tools
28
29 5) Many other ridiculous and needless tasks that are associated with all
30 of the above.
31
32 And for what? Just so that I can joyously sit back and watch X come
33 to life without a configuration file? No thank you. I'll pass.
34
35 The purpose of the edev driver, as stated in the Gentoo manual, is
36 only this:
37
38 "The evdev driver configures your input devices, as needed, using HAL or udev.
39 This allows for the X server to automatically detect the keyboard and mouse
40 you're using for your input devices, and removes the need to specify your
41 devices in xorg.conf."
42
43 I am so sorry, but I remain thoroughly unimpressed. I know exactly
44 what is connected to my machine. I do not require some convoluted
45 and barely workable user-space software scheme to figure it out for me.
46
47 What disturbs me the most, however, is this business about udev.
48
49 IMO, udev is the most twisted and unnecessary piece of cr** to have
50 ever been foisted upon the Linux world. It is apparently the brainchild
51 of the Freedesktop project, who are always busily creating more bloated
52 graphical extravaganzas in some misguided mission to outdo Microsoft.
53
54 I refuse to jump on that garish bandwagon. I have *real* computing
55 to accomplish.
56
57 For me, the appeal of Linux is that it allows the user to configure
58 and customize his system to suit his personal preferences, however bizarre
59 or unconventional those may be. The job of the Linux developers, therefore,
60 should be to maintain that state of openness and not to constrain
61 the user to any particular methodology. IOW, Linux is about *choice*
62 and not about conformity.
63
64 My choice is simple: absolutely no udev (or any equivalent).
65 If others desire to have it, then that is their choice, but
66 I should never be forced to follow along.
67
68 Hopefully, Gentoo has not lost this understanding and will strive
69 to maintain the wisdom.
70
71 Frank Peters