From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Keyboard Stops Working Under X
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 21:03:00
1 Frank Peters posted on Thu, 15 Nov 2012 02:59:41 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > I really should leave this alone but I just can't resist.
4
5 Likewise... =;^/
6
7 > Actually, on this machine (with the keyboard problem) I still use a CRT.
8 > The reason is that I do a lot of image processing and I need cheap color
9 > fidelity. With an LCD, high fidelity color comes with an equally high
10 > price, but equally proficient CRT monitors are far less expensive. This
11 > CRT is a HUGE monster that weighs over a hundred pounds, but for the
12 > same price I could never find an equal LCD display.
13
14 Consider LED-backed LCDs (often simply referred to as LED rather than
15 LCD). They're a bit more expensive than CFL-backed LCDs (what people
16 normally refer to with the term LCD), but are *MUCH* more energy
17 efficient (makes a big difference here in Phoenix, where the AC is often
18 run a couple hours mid-day even in January, and most of the year you're
19 paying for electricity feeding the monitor twice, once to operate the
20 monitor, again to operate the AC to pump the heat produced back
21 outside)...
22
23 And more to the point for you, generally MUCH higher color fidelity.
24
25 I kind of discovered that by accident, replacing a 24-inch LCD that got
26 cracked with a 22-inch LED at about the same price-point a couple years
27 later. The LED brought out colors I never new existed on the LCD! I
28 don't expect to ever go back, and in fact, have been wanting to upgrade
29 my dual monitors to 37-42-inch (the biggest I can fit, here), but put it
30 off as I wasn't going to settle for LCD any longer, and dual LED monitors
31 at the size I wanted was simply beyond my current budget.
32
33 Of course you'll also want to be sure that they're real 8-bit-per-channel-
34 color, not 6-bit, which is what many of the cheap ones are, but LEDs
35 should /generally/ get you beyond the 6-bit-per-channel cheap range as
36 well. (10-bit-per-color-channel is available, but you *DO* pay thru the
37 nose for them! It's possible that's what you need, but perhaps not. I
38 know *I* was seriously surprised at the quality of the LEDs I rather
39 accidentally stumbled into.)
44 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman