From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Keyboard Stops Working Under X
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 09:02:55
1 On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 23:25:13 -0600
2 Steven Lembark <lembark@×××××××.com> wrote:
5 > ... might not even use a CRT any more,
8 I really should leave this alone but I just can't resist.
9
10 Actually, on this machine (with the keyboard problem) I still
11 use a CRT. The reason is that I do a lot of image processing
12 and I need cheap color fidelity. With an LCD, high fidelity
13 color comes with an equally high price, but equally proficient
14 CRT monitors are far less expensive. This CRT is a HUGE monster
15 that weighs over a hundred pounds, but for the same price I could
16 never find an equal LCD display.
17
18 It also uses VGA input. Think of it! Fortunately, simple
19 DVI-VGA adapters are still available.
22 > The KB and mouse
23 > drivers were developed in the days of dedicated
24 > AT keyboard and mouse ports -- prior to USB with
25 > all of its switching and shared bandwidth issues.
28 I have intended to switch to evdev, but, since things have
29 been working effectively -- and this is a late model Core i7
30 based system -- I felt no pressing need. But your argument
31 has convinced me to bring this task up a few notches in priority.
32
33 Frank Peters