From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Symlinks vs. Bind mounts.
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:29:43
1 2008/8/12 Morgan Wesström <gentoo-amd64@×××××××××.biz>
2
3 > you'll use swap partition. but you'll not allocate all that ram space with
4 >> openoffice. i've tried to compile it twice. first time it was on disk and it
5 >> took almost 14 hours of compilation. the second time was on tmpfs with 3.8gb
6 >> and a 6gb swap file and it took less than 8 hours and
9 > If I understand you correctly, I wouldn't be able to compile Open Office on
10 > tmpfs with my 2GB RAM and 1GB swap. I would have to increase the swap space
11 > to be able to hold all the temporary files from the compilation, wouldn't I?
12 > /Morgan
15 well, it's difficult to compile it and in my opinion you might be able to do
16 it, but i'm not sure. also be aware that usually the tmpfs is lower than
17 1gb. do a df /tmp and see yourself. you should specify your tmpfs size in
18 /etc/fstab like in the following example:
19
20 tmpfs /tmp tmpfs
21 mode=1777,size=8G,nodev,nosuid 0 0
22
23 the example puts the right tmpfs permissions and sets the size of it to 8GB.
24 i currently have 3.8gb of ram and 8gb of swap. this means that i still have
25 plenty of room in the swap and ram to be able to run smoothly the system.
26 usually the swap partition is put to a dimension equal to double the ram
27 dimension. if you want to compile into ram you should set it to more than
28 double, for example to about 3 times the ram space, thus equal to 6gb and
29 then set the maximum tmpfs in fstab to 6gb or even 7gb. in this way you'll
30 use first all of your ram and then till 4 or 5 gb of swap. this will allow
31 your pc to respond even if the compilation will go over the estimated space.
34 dott. ing. beso