From: Joshua Hoblitt <jhoblitt@××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Cc: Randy Arruda <randya@××××.com>, brain.sullivan@××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Tyan Motherboards
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 03:21:17
1 Hi,
2
3 Not with those specific boards but I have 16 x S2927s which are very
4 similar to the S2932.
5
6 I'm currently having major support issues with Tyan while attempting to
7 integrate the M3292 IPMI cards. Basically Tyan claimed that this
8 combination would work on the motherboard's spec. sheet but hadn't even
9 posted the necessary firmware for the M3292 to make this work. I've had
10 reports from various different techs at Tyan that this combination
11 should work, that the motherboard may need to be recalled, or that it's
12 a problem with the M3292 for S2927 firmware. This is after repeatedly
13 flashing the BIOS, the NVidia MCPs firmware, and the M3292s firmware
14 multiple times. Now we're stuck on them claim it's working in the lab
15 but my card will only respond via the OpemIPMI interface. Over the lan
16 I can see it sending out gratuitous arp messages but it won't respond to
17 arp resolution and it ignores all traffic if I publish an arp entry for
18 the card. Supposedly the tech that "really knows" this IPMI card has
19 been on vacation since last Monday so I'm stuck.
20
21 I'm also in the middle of an "interesting" experience for trying to
22 cross-ship a motherboard board with a dead on-board NIC. Tech support
23 said to contact the RMA department, RMA department said I had to contact
24 tech support to arrange for across-ship, tech support said they won't do
25 a cross-ship without an RMA # from the RMA department. After all this
26 tech support said that it was late in the day or someone would call me
27 the next day to arrange the cross-ship. That was a week ago. I e-mail
28 the RMA department again and got a phone call from someone in the RMA
29 department asking what was going on and wonder why I have an RMA # for
30 standard return when I'm asking for a cross-ship. Of course, as you
31 already know, only tech support can arrange for a cross-shipment so this
32 person decided to get in touch with them on my behalf and call me back.
33 It's now 5pm US/Hawaii time and I have not been called back.
34
35 Don't get me started about how useless it has become to attempt to
36 e-mail their tech support. If you want a response you have to call them
37 - at least their still responsive in answering the phone.
38
39 In the past Tyan has had _wonderful_ support and I have literally dozens
40 of their motherboards in production systems. I even have a Tyan board
41 in my home system. However, after this most recent experience I most
42 likely going to be investigating SuperMicro boards now they they support
43 Opterons.
44
45 Good luck,
46
47 -J
48
49 Ps. The S2882 is a dated but good board if you can live without PCI-E.
50 The S2982 seem to have wacky issues with the broadcom NIC ROMs.