From: Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Tyan Motherboards
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 14:15:19
1 Joshua Hoblitt, mused, then expounded:
2 >
3 > In the past Tyan has had _wonderful_ support and I have literally dozens
4 > of their motherboards in production systems. I even have a Tyan board
5 > in my home system. However, after this most recent experience I most
6 > likely going to be investigating SuperMicro boards now they they support
7 > Opterons.
10 Don't expect Supermicro's tech support to be better. In many cases the
11 questions have to be fed to the local techs, asked by them to the mothership
12 in Taiwan and then replied back to.
13
14 And while their BMC works well with ipmi 1.8.9 or web browser, they sometimes
15 do upgrades in the middle of board runs that eliminates some usefulness - like
16 the web browser. Still, they're a lot better than many other vendors out
17 there. Though Tyan is still my preferred vendor.
18
19 On the original subject - my Tyan S2885 is still running strong as my office
20 workstation, since 2006. More than I can say for the ECS ATI R690 chipset
21 I had to upgrade to at home due to a failing system - way too easy to lock it up.
22
23 Bob
24 -
25 --