From: Luigi Pinna <mailing-gentoo@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Skype doesn't work as user
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 17:26:01
Alle 11:37, domenica 20 novembre 2005, Duncan ha scritto:
> What desktop are you running, KDE? If so, are you using the ARTS > sound daemon or not? Anything else (KDE's sound effects??) accessing > sound at the same time? What are the ownership and permissions on > your sound device (/dev/sound/dsp and/or /dev/snd/pcm)?
Yes KDE 3.4.3 with arts, and it works good (I can use juk, kopete without problems)
> As a user, Skype seems to be configured to try playing thru ARTS > first. When that fails, it tries playing direct to the sound device. > The thing is that if ARTS or a similar sound daemon (ESD?) is > running, it'll grab exclusive use of the sound device, and nothing > else will be able to use it, even if it would be capable of sharing > it otherwise. That's why it tries thru ARTS -- if it's running it > can't access the hardware directly anyway.
Ok, but why root can access to the device too? It must be kill user's arts, isn't it? The problem is that I don't know how to configure it, and I don't want to use a root access to use Skype... Luigi -- Public key GPG(0x073A0960) on