From: Bertrand Jacquin <beber.gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] 64-bit or 32-bit?
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 10:21:23
On 3/29/06, Marco Matthies <marco-ml@×××.net> wrote:
> Bertrand Jacquin wrote: > > How could you compile mplayer or firefox in your 64 bits environnement > > to generate 32 bits binary ? I have multilib activated and I can't > > build mplayer with CFLAGS="-m32". > > > > It is needing something else ? > > > > I don't want too to have and maintain a 32 bit chroot. > > I'm assuming you're talking about compiling something by hand here. As > other people have mentioned here, support for portage to compile > arbitrary apps/libs 32-bit or 64-bit isn't there yet (at least in stable > portage which is what i'm using), every ebuild for amd64 at the moment > chooses either 32-bit or 64-bit (by setting ABI=x86 or ABI=amd64).
No, maybe I misspell what I was wanting to say (my english sux too). The first exemple I wrote was in reality : CFLAGS="-m32" emerge -avt mozilla-firefox To be clear : I don't want a chroot, because it make be 2 gentoo to maintain and a lot of things unecessary ATM. I would like portage build for me a software in 32 bit mode. If it's a lib, I would like portage to install it in /emul/linux/x86 if I tell him to do that Like a (just an example) : emerge -avt libvorbis --abi 32 For example, I would to compile mplayer with portage and have to choice in USE flags, not as mplayer-bin. Maybe now it could be more clear for all. (I hope)
> You need the 32-bit libs (which should go into /lib32 and /usr/lib32) > that your application depends on. At a bare minimum, this is going to be > libc for C programs, but usually some other libs as well. To make > precompiled dynamically linked 32-bit binaries such as mplayer-bin > possible, gentoo also supplies the libs needed for these binary ebuilds > in /emul/linux/x86 which are installed by the emul-linux-x86-* ebuilds.
Yeah, I would like to avoid precompiled packages.