From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] quadcore - part 2
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 13:53:10
1 2008/11/27 Fernando Boaglio <boaglio@×××××.com>:
2 > Hi again, =)
3 >
4 > Yesterday I was installing my Gentoo from stage3 and I noticed (with
5 > htop) even though my machine has 4Gb, only 350mb (tops) was used
6 > during compilation.
7 >
8 > Is there any way to improve my memory usage ?
9 >
10 compile into ram and have more compilation threads to compile simultaneously.
11 there are how-tos on how to set up inram compilation (faster than disk one) on
12 the gentoo wiki and in the forum. usually you just need to have
13 /var/tmp/portage
14 (assuming /var/tmp/portage is where portage compiles the packages) to
15 a tmpfs.
16 i've added some lines in /etc/conf.d/local.start to create a directory in /tmp
17 then give the own to portage and then to mount this directory over
18 /var/tmp/portage and the unmount of this directory in local.stop when
19 closing the pc.
20 you'll have to set to the proper dimension to the tmpf inside
21 /etc/fstab. i have it set to
22 6.8 gb with 3.2gb of physical ram and 4 gb of swap space. remember
23 that the total ammount
24 of space for the particular tmpfs should not be over the space of
25 total physicalram plus
26 swap dimension or you'll have some problems with it.
27
28 > Another question: the cooler from quadcore box is too much noisy, and
29 > my old machine ( X2 4200+ - Socket 939) has an excellent Zalman cooler
30 > , but will be safe to use it ?
31 >
32 you'll just have to try it out and monitor the thermal sensors after
33 you've added it. if
34 they have almost the same values that they had when using the original
35 cooler then
36 you should be able to safely substitute the base cooler. if you still
37 want a good cooler
38 i'd suggest cooler master or thermaltake coolers and dissipators that
39 are really great.
42 dott. ing. beso