From: Harry Holt <harryholt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Boycott Systemd
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 20:08:08
1 On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 2:22 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 12:58 PM, Barry Schwartz
5 > <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
6 > > Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com> skribis:
7 > >> Diversity isn't about feeding people who feels everything not-invented
8 > >> here is godawful. When you have a clearly defined problem and you can
9 > >> create a solution that satisfies that niche better than any other
10 > >> solutions, that is diversity.
11 > >
12 > > 'Diversity' here is deviation from established Unix/POSIX philosophy
13 > > in system design. Years of effort to simplify programming are being
14 > > thrown away on grounds that resemble common arguments in favor of the
15 > > 'tight integration' that is Microsoft Windows. I mean, seriously, many
16 > > of the pro-systemd arguments are like those I have heard for using
17 > > Windows: that applications 'just work', because they were written for
18 > > a dominant system.
19 > >
20 > > But I view this like a programmer, not like a Windows user; I want my
21 > > software to be portable because it is written portably (in a POSIX
22 > > sense), not because it is written for a universally available
23 > > particular POSIX variant. What I see is something like a return to the
24 > > days when you had to write different code for variants of USG, BSD,
25 > > and whatnot, except that now, unlike then, one of the variants is
26 > > overwhelmingly dominant.
27 > >
28 > > What I really fear, though, is what if one day the kernel team is a
29 > > different entity, more like other entities in the Linux world?
30 >
31 > As a professional programmer, I completely disagree with any dogma
32 > based on "philosophy" rather than technical merits. I will not rehash
33 > here the same discussion we have had several times in gentoo-user, so
34 > I will just paste what Linus recently had to say about "the
35 > traditional unix"[1].
36 >
37 > "So I think many of the "original ideals" of UNIX are these days more
38 > of a mindset issue than necessarily reflecting reality of the
39 > situation.
40 >
41 > "There's still value in understanding the traditional UNIX "do one
42 > thing and do it well" model where many workflows can be done as a
43 > pipeline of simple tools each adding their own value, but let's face
44 > it, it's not how complex systems really work, and it's not how major
45 > applications have been working or been designed for a long time. It's
46 > a useful simplification, and it's still true at *some* level, but I
47 > think it's also clear that it doesn't really describe most of reality.
48 >
49 > "It might describe some particular case, though, and I do think it's a
50 > useful teaching tool. People obviously still do those traditional
51 > pipelines of processes and file descriptors that UNIX is perhaps
52 > associated with, but there's a *lot* of cases where you have big
53 > complex unified systems."
54 >
55 > Let me emphasize the important part:
56 >
57 > "There's still value in understanding the traditional UNIX [...] model
58 > [...], but let's face it, it's not how complex systems really work".
59 >
60 > So, I'm sorry, but if I'm going to take a programmer's word, is going
61 > to be Linus over almost anyone else. And to quote Rob Pike: "Not only
62 > is UNIX dead, it's starting to smell really bad."
63 >
64 > Regards.
65 >
66 > [1]
67 > http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/open-source/65402-torvalds-says-he-has-no-strong-opinions-on-systemd
68 > --
69 > Canek Peláez Valdés
70 > Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias
71 > Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
74 You left out a few gems from Linus. I already posted Linus' rant about
75 some of the major failings of systemd and its developers - there are some
76 issues he brings up in his article that you still refuse to acknowledge as
77 major short-comings:
78
79 "I don't actually have any particularly strong opinions on systemd itself.
80 I've had issues with some of the core developers that I think are much too
81 cavalier about bugs and compatibility, and I think some of the design
82 details are insane (I dislike the binary logs, for example), but those are
83 details, not big issues."
84
85 "Now, I'm still old-fashioned enough that I like my log-files in text, not
86 binary, so I think sometimes systemd hasn't necessarily had the best of
87 taste, but hey, details.."
88
89 But of course, actions speak louder than words. Linus may have explained
90 why he kicked Kay Sievers out of the kernel maintainers, but if he did, it
91 wasn't included in the edited transcript.