From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Boycott Systemd
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 20:23:04
1 On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 3:08 PM, Harry Holt <harryholt@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 2:22 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com>
5 > wrote:
6 >>
7 >> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 12:58 PM, Barry Schwartz
8 >> <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
9 >> > Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com> skribis:
10 >> >> Diversity isn't about feeding people who feels everything not-invented
11 >> >> here is godawful. When you have a clearly defined problem and you can
12 >> >> create a solution that satisfies that niche better than any other
13 >> >> solutions, that is diversity.
14 >> >
15 >> > ‘Diversity’ here is deviation from established Unix/POSIX philosophy
16 >> > in system design. Years of effort to simplify programming are being
17 >> > thrown away on grounds that resemble common arguments in favor of the
18 >> > ‘tight integration’ that is Microsoft Windows. I mean, seriously, many
19 >> > of the pro-systemd arguments are like those I have heard for using
20 >> > Windows: that applications ‘just work’, because they were written for
21 >> > a dominant system.
22 >> >
23 >> > But I view this like a programmer, not like a Windows user; I want my
24 >> > software to be portable because it is written portably (in a POSIX
25 >> > sense), not because it is written for a universally available
26 >> > particular POSIX variant. What I see is something like a return to the
27 >> > days when you had to write different code for variants of USG, BSD,
28 >> > and whatnot, except that now, unlike then, one of the variants is
29 >> > overwhelmingly dominant.
30 >> >
31 >> > What I really fear, though, is what if one day the kernel team is a
32 >> > different entity, more like other entities in the Linux world?
33 >>
34 >> As a professional programmer, I completely disagree with any dogma
35 >> based on "philosophy" rather than technical merits. I will not rehash
36 >> here the same discussion we have had several times in gentoo-user, so
37 >> I will just paste what Linus recently had to say about "the
38 >> traditional unix"[1].
39 >>
40 >> "So I think many of the "original ideals" of UNIX are these days more
41 >> of a mindset issue than necessarily reflecting reality of the
42 >> situation.
43 >>
44 >> "There's still value in understanding the traditional UNIX "do one
45 >> thing and do it well" model where many workflows can be done as a
46 >> pipeline of simple tools each adding their own value, but let's face
47 >> it, it's not how complex systems really work, and it's not how major
48 >> applications have been working or been designed for a long time. It's
49 >> a useful simplification, and it's still true at *some* level, but I
50 >> think it's also clear that it doesn't really describe most of reality.
51 >>
52 >> "It might describe some particular case, though, and I do think it's a
53 >> useful teaching tool. People obviously still do those traditional
54 >> pipelines of processes and file descriptors that UNIX is perhaps
55 >> associated with, but there's a *lot* of cases where you have big
56 >> complex unified systems."
57 >>
58 >> Let me emphasize the important part:
59 >>
60 >> "There's still value in understanding the traditional UNIX [...] model
61 >> [...], but let's face it, it's not how complex systems really work".
62 >>
63 >> So, I'm sorry, but if I'm going to take a programmer's word, is going
64 >> to be Linus over almost anyone else. And to quote Rob Pike: "Not only
65 >> is UNIX dead, it’s starting to smell really bad."
66 >>
67 >> Regards.
68 >>
69 >> [1]
70 >> http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/open-source/65402-torvalds-says-he-has-no-strong-opinions-on-systemd
71 >> --
72 >> Canek Peláez Valdés
73 >> Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias
74 >> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
77 > You left out a few gems from Linus. I already posted Linus' rant about some
78 > of the major failings of systemd and its developers - there are some issues
79 > he brings up in his article that you still refuse to acknowledge as major
80 > short-comings:
81 >
82 > "I don't actually have any particularly strong opinions on systemd itself.
83 > I've had issues with some of the core developers that I think are much too
84 > cavalier about bugs and compatibility, and I think some of the design
85 > details are insane (I dislike the binary logs, for example), but those are
86 > details, not big issues."
87 >
88 > "Now, I'm still old-fashioned enough that I like my log-files in text, not
89 > binary, so I think sometimes systemd hasn't necessarily had the best of
90 > taste, but hey, details.."
91
92 You make my point: all the things Linus doesn't like about systemd are
93 "details".
94
95 > But of course, actions speak louder than words. Linus may have explained
96 > why he kicked Kay Sievers out of the kernel maintainers, but if he did, it
97 > wasn't included in the edited transcript.
98
99 That happened almost six months ago. Nobody in LKML really cares about
100 that; only systemd-haters keep bring it up.
101
102 And yeah, actions speak louder than words. See which distributions
103 switched or are about to switch to systemd.
104
105 In the end, those are the only actions that matter.
106
107 Regards.
108 --
109 Canek Peláez Valdés
110 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias