From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: HD device becomes SD device
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 23:46:49
1 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> posted
2 200907020514.09438.volkerarmin@××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Thu,
3 02 Jul 2009 05:14:09 +0200:
4
5 > On Donnerstag 02 Juli 2009, David Shen wrote:
6 >> Hi,
7 >>
8 >> I install gentoo 2008 amd64 in a virtual box virtual machine. I
9 >> configured the controller to us IDE controller, and if I boot from
10 >> livecd, it DID get a hda device under /dev. But after I finished
11 >> setting up the system, I cannot find the HD device, instead, I found a
12 >> SD device.
13 >>
14 >> Maybe there are something wrong with the kernel I compiled, but I do
15 >> not know how to troubleshoot this.
16 >
17 > no, that is correct. You use libata. libata makes use of the scsi
18 > subsystem. All disks are sdX. It is the correct and right thing.
19
20 Just confirming the above. The old IDE kernel subsystem, with its /dev/
21 hdX devices, is still around, but deprecated. Most IDE hardware users
22 now use the libata SATA/PATA system, with its /dev/sdX devices.
23
24 If you wish, you could of course configure udev so it produced /dev/hdX
25 devices as well (symlinks) or instead, but they'd still be libata PATA
26 devices, just named the old hda names.
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman