From: Jean-Marc Hengen <hengenj@×××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Playing DVD problems
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 13:47:25
1 Jim Seymour wrote:
2 > Totem is built with
3 > dvd support and I have the amd64codecs installed. I also have libdvdcss
4 > installed. Is there a good howto on DVD under Gentoo?
5
6 totem uses the gstreamer framework to play any media. Gstreamer needs
7 for everything it should decode a plugin - for DVD it is
8 media-plugins/gst-plugins-dvdread.
9 A quick test showed me, that when someone select "Plav CD/DVD" in
10 movies, it won't start the DVD. If someone uses gnome's "Disk Mounter"
11 or in "totem dvd://" or in "Open Location" under Movies types dvd:// -
12 it works.
13
14 I personnaly prefer xine for DVD's, because it shows the dvd-menus and
15 as far as I know, it's the only one who does this.
16
17 Besides you need for most DVD's media-libs/libdvdcss for decryption. You
18 should check if it is installed. If not, check your USE-Flag (dvd for
19 xine-lib).
20
21 Greetings,
22 J_M