From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: portage dependency?
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 16:19:43
1 Mark Haney wrote:
2 > Duncan wrote:
3 >> "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> posted
4 >> 494FE6D7.2060408@××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Mon, 22 Dec 2008
5 >> 14:13:27 -0500:
6 >>
7 >>> I've been updating my system after having some surgery and taking time
8 >>> off from everything and I've noticed a funny thing. Certain packages are
9 >>> requiring that I install v2.1.4.5 or portage (I'm running 2.1.6.2 now)
10 >>> before updating the other packages. Why is that?
11 >>
12 >> So you're saying they're asking you to downgrade? Do you have an
13 >> example and is it in the main tree or some overlay (which)?
14 >>
15 >> I /think/ that'd be a bug as to date portage has been backward
16 >> compatible such that new versions should handle old ebuilds just fine,
17 >> but I can't say for sure without an example to look at the code on and
18 >> see what it's actually trying to do, where and why.
19 >>
20 >> What I suspect is happening is that it's depending on a specific
21 >> portage version, say =2.1.4*, instead of a slot, which portage should
22 >> support everything at least in the main tree. IOW it shouldn't be
23 >> happening in the main tree. However, it could still be occurring in
24 >> some obscure overlay that doesn't get much testing from ~portage,
25 >> maybe one that has mostly paludis or pkgcore users?
26 >>
27 >> But it's all speculation until there's an example to look at, and the
28 >> problem sounds strange enough I'm doubting I'm reading what you said
29 >> correctly in the first place.
34 > It seems anything java related and mplayer as well. Which of course I
35 > don't understand at all. It also might be a required portage version as
36 > you say, but I don't know how to determine that.
40 A quick check shows java and a bunch of others requiring portage
41 >=2.1.27 so that shouldn't be an issue I wouldn't think.
47 Frustra laborant quotquot se calculationibus fatigant pro inventione
48 quadraturae circuli
49
50 Mark Haney
51 Sr. Systems Administrator
52 ERC Broadband
53 (828) 350-2415
54
55 Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support