From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Boycott Systemd
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 17:05:27
1 On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 10:18 AM, Harry Holt <harryholt@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > The systemd folks are fine - it's all the other Linux devs (Linus, too) that
4 > are the real problem:
7 I think we're all part of the problem to an extent. Many of us
8 contribute to the flames, and many more of us contribute by tolerating
9 them.
10
11 Sometimes Lennart contributes his own flames to the mix, but I don't
12 think that really makes his comments any less valid. I've been around
13 Gentoo long enough to see several cycles of people ragequitting over
14 this kind of nonsense, and fortunately some do return. We probably
15 also receive in contributors who ragequit elsewhere, and other
16 projects take on those we abandon along the way. It is a bit sad, to
17 be honest, that despite the fact that we all share some common
18 passions for FOSS we still manage to drive each other up the wall at
19 times.
20
21 Somebody once commented at a Linux User Group meeting I attended that
22 if somebody came up with a "cure" for Aspergers it would destroy FOSS
23 overnight, and maybe this has something to do with it. :)
24
25 When I am confronted with this sort of stuff I always recall some
26 words of wisdom from the 90s - "Cypherpunks write code." In the end
27 we can complain about this or that, but the biggest lasting impact you
28 can have on an FOSS project is writing code. When I think about
29 that, I find myself spending less time tearing down people who are
30 actually writing code, and more time writing code myself.
33 Rich