From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Boycott Systemd
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 20:44:05
1 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> skribis:
2 > I've been around
3 > Gentoo long enough to see several cycles of people ragequitting over
4 > this kind of nonsense, and fortunately some do return.
5
6 Ragequitters do not matter for the projects we are talking about, even
7 if they happen to matter for Gentoo (which I stipulate only for
8 argument’s sake). Is not the goal supposed to be to get users who
9 normally aren’t even discussing ‘Linux’?
10
11 Certainly this is equivalent to the stated goals of the FSF.
12
13 So then the question becomes: is systemd the way to achieve the goal,
14 and, if not, why all the person-hours spent on it?
15
16 We have very serious problems with effort-misdirection in free
17 software. Would that one one-thousandth of the effort went into making
18 fonts and typography work correctly on GNU systems.