From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Boycott Systemd
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 04:49:11
1 On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 11:32 PM, Barry Schwartz
2 <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 [snip]
4 > Am I to understand that you are an actual academic and yet consider
5 > this kind of speech a reasonable discussion of technical issues?
6
7 I just said that this thread has *seriously* lacked on technical
8 arguments. I haven't made almost any technical argument, because
9 basically all the discussion has been around conspiracy theories about
10 "evil figures" (not my words), for "profit" companies (again, not my
11 words), and the infallibility of the Unix "philosophy", in which this
12 field apparently the arguments "go round and round, however, and never
13 change"... again, not my words, *yours* actually.
14
15 *You* call *that* "a reasonable discussion of technical issues"?
16
17 > It is more like an exchange between political candidates or lawyers in
18 > a courtroom.
19
20 I agree. But I just started participating in this thread to expose a
21 blatantly false claim, that GNOME has systemd as hard dependency. All
22 that has followed (except for a few precious good comments from Rich
23 and others), has been like you have described, "an exchange between
24 political candidates or lawyers in a courtroom".
25
26 You in particular ignored my comment about why vertical integration,
27 non-portability, and binary formats have its merits.
28
29 > This is why I don’t even bother to explain how fontconfig is ruining
30 > everything, even though I can do so in exquisite detail.
31
32 No offense, but I do not care about your opinion on fontconfig or
33 programming languages with built-in provisions against buffer
34 overflows. However, I would *love* to discuss, in a reasonable way,
35 about the merits and weakness of systemd.
36
37 So bring it on.
38
39 Regards.
40 --
41 Canek Peláez Valdés
42 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias