From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: FAT tools, where ?
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 06:02:35
1 Barry Schwartz posted on Thu, 03 Dec 2009 20:36:48 -0600 as excerpted:
2
3 > Depending on what the DOS fs stuff is for, sys-fs/ntfs3g might be a
4 > better option, anyway, though I have a vfat partition from before I
5 > discovered ntfs3g, and would keep dosfstools (and the kernel support)
6 > and/or mtools around anyway, for working with those very occasional
7 > floppies.
8
9 As I said, I've been formatting those ext2. Now that ext4 is available
10 without journaling, perhaps I'll eventually switch to it.
11
12 The only other thing I do with floppies is copy premade FreeDOS images to
13 them, for stuff like flashing BIOSs. My board is now EOLed and no more
14 flashes for it, but I had a clean 1.44 floppy FreeDOS OEM image that I'd
15 copy, loopback-mount the copy, copy in the new flash executable and BIOS
16 bin image, umount, dd the image direct to /dev/fd0, verify it, then boot
17 to the floppy and flash the BIOS. Unfortunately, the last one I did
18 killed the BIOS as I had a stick of bad memory that caused it to write
19 corruption, so I had to order from Cali a new BIOS chip flashed to the
20 last update, but until then, the system worked well. But other than
21 that, the only floppies I've done for years have been ext2.
26 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman