From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Boycott Systemd
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:09:04
1 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> skribis:
2 > As a professional programmer, I completely disagree with any dogma
3 > based on "philosophy" rather than technical merits.
4
5 False dilemma. I _am_ arguing on grounds of technical merit, and
6 simply using the term ‘philosophy’ to refer to design.
7
8 Authorities saying bad things about Unix means little to me; it
9 certainly is not an argument in favor of bad software and hacks. Of
10 course Unix is very old and very tired; but here we are not really
11 talking about advances beyond that, which I think would look like such
12 experimental systems as Plan 9 or GNU Hurd, not mere complicated hacks
13 within the old framework, which is what systemd is.
14
15 In this field the arguments go round and round, however, and never
16 change. The ‘programming practices’ columns of all the software
17 magazines are always the same article, pressed with a rubber stamp
18 that was worn out already 30 years ago.